- Membership runs from January 1st to December 31st annually
- Members who join late in the year just pay from the next January 1st
- Cost of VVV membership – renewal: $60.00
- Cost of VVV membership – first year – includes summer jersey: $130.00
- You’ll also need to register with CyclingBC for mandatory insurance. This costs $40/$45. This can be done online: CyclingBC online.
Note that there is plenty of other club clothing for summer and winter use which can be ordered through Brian Larsen. More details
Note on CyclingBC Membership/Insurance
CyclingBC insurance provides comprehensive liability and sports injury medical insurance for individual riders while participating in club or other CyclingBC sanctioned events. Once you have registered you will receive in the mail a CyclingBC membership card proving you are covered. Presentation of the card at several local bike shops will also entitle you to shop discounts. Purchase online The basic membership/insurance is $40 and is valid for activities within the club you select, Vancouver Velo Vets. If you wish to participate on rides or club events with other clubs you will need to purchase a Provincial Race license rather than the basic membership, which costs $45. A lot of our members go for this option just for the extra coverage.
Once you’ve got your CyclingBC membership:
- print your proof of insurance, license purchase confirmation e-mail from CyclingBC
- read, complete and sign the membership form and waiver form
- submit with required amount from above (cheque made out to “Vancouver Velo Vets”
- send all of it to Treasurer: Bill Markvoort, 217 Third Ave, New Westminister BC V3L 1L9 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Guest riders are welcome but are required to complete a waiver form and bring it to the ride you wish to participate in. If you are bringing a guest please print a waiver for them and ask the guest to fill it in and sign it. What it takes to join a Velo Vets ride:
- Signed Velo Vets waiver or signed waiver & membership form.
- Capable of riding at an average speed of 26-28kph (that means 30-32kph on the flats)
- Helmet (you must have an approved helmet, no exceptions!)
- Group riding experience is helpful but not required. We will show you how. Inexperienced riders may be asked to ride at the back of the group until they and the group are more comfortable
- The rides are not supported, so be prepared in the event of a flat or mechanical
- Check the ride calendar for options, times and start locations
- Come out for a few rides to try things out (we are happy for you to come out a few times as a guest before you need to decide whether to join the club)
- Bring along some money as most rides include a mid-ride coffee shop stop